Sunday, January 22, 2012

A new way to make pizza

So I promised myself that I would blog at least once a week.  For those paying attention, it seems that I missed a week already...and I did.  So tonight I shall be posting two new entries.


This week (and I do mean the week I am posting this) I ran around from store to store trying to find Kinnikinnick's pizza crusts.  I used to use the ones that Schar makes, but I have grown more fond of the softer ones that Kinnikinnick sells, plus you get twice as many crusts for the same price.  We hadn't had pizza in a while and we wanted a change of pace.  So I settled on making little pizzas with Schar's Crispbread.  I had done this in the past when I wanted a small snack, but this time I have chosen to experiment with some flavors to see what I will try net time on a regular pizza or as a snack.
14 varieties of mini pizzas.  Next time I do this I will make even more varieties.  Obviously, you can do whatever you want, but I wanted to try out some new things.  For anyone that has had the Crispbread before, it has the consistency of hardened Styrofoam.  In some regards it even tastes like it, but it is perfect with any topping.  I used to make these in the microwave with just sauce, cheese and pepperoni, but they came out soggy.  Ten minute in the oven at 300 degrees and they are still crisp with everything cooked up quite nicely.


Here is a list of what I made in this batch from top to bottom, left to right, and shown on this picture from after they were cooked.  Every pizza was made with 6 cheese Italian blend from Stop and Shop and Contadina Pizza Sauce.
1)  Just cheese and sauce - Tasted okay.  Kind of bland, but I am not used to eating any pizza without extra toppings.
2)  With added Italian seasoning - Much more flavorful.  Still missing something, but that is why there are 14 options to choose from here, though I chose to eat them all.
3)  With pepperoni - Now this is how I like it.  Tasted just like a regular crusted pizza.
4)  With fresh sweet peppers - The peppers were small yellow peppers I bought at the store.  Slightly sweeter than what I am used to putting on my pizzas, but they will do.
5)  With pineapple - Made a mistake here, so it didn't come out as good as it could have.  The pieces of pineapple were too big, so they overpowered the mini-pizza with sweetness.  Didn't taste the sauce at all.
6)  With hot pepper rings - This one was also a bit of a disappointment.  The peppers were not the best flavor for the pizza, at least not alone.
7)  With pepperoni and seasoning - Now it tastes just like the pizzeria, except smaller, crispier, and free.
8)  With fresh sweet peppers and seasoning - Better, but the peppers aren't meant as a stand-alone topping for me.
9)  With pineapple and seasoning - All I tasted was pineapple with a hint of seasoning.  Again, probably because the pieces were too big.
10) With hot pepper rings and seasoning - The spice made it better, but again, the hot peppers are not good by themselves.
11) With pineapple and hot pepper rings - This one didn't work at all, but mostly because, once again, the pineapple was huge.  There had to be one idea that flopped, This is it.
12) With pepperoni and fresh sweet peppers - This was almost two parts of my favorite pizza combination, but with sweet peppers instead of green bell peppers.  The pepperoni muted the sweetness of the pepper a bit, making it work a bit better, but still the sweet pepper doesn't quite fit in.
13) With hot pepper rings and fresh sweet peppers - Finally found a combination that works, using the two items that didn't work too well alone or with others.  You get the vinegary, spicy flavor of the hot pepper alongside the sweet and crisp taste of the sweet pepper.  Though it is nowhere near to being Thai food, it incorporates the balance between spicy and sweet quite well.
14) With pepperoni and pineapple - This would have tasted a lot better yet again if the pineapple was smaller.  My favorite toppings combination has always been pepperoni, pineapple, and green bell peppers.  I had no green peppers on-hand, but this was good enough.  Again though, next time I do it with smaller pineapple bits.


The next time we make pizza, I may do this again, but with even more flavor combinations.


By the way, this was going to be posted two days ago, but I fell asleep at the computer and didn't remember until this morning that I was posting it.  Now I have to do yet another post, followed by this week's entry, but I promised myself that i would enter something every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment